CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, June 22, 2008

The Talkative Talker Talks


Well, I just spoke in church today and I thought I would Blog it.
Here is the talk if you would like to read it.
Honoring the Priesthood

Hello everyone, I was asked to speak today on honoring the priesthood. Well I didn’t really know a whole lot about this particular subject, so when I asked my sister Courtni what she thought it meant, she said and I quote “honoring the priesthood is obeying are father in heaven, and to live to a higher standard than most people because you hold the power of god.” That really told me a lot, and when you think about it, every word she said was true.

If we men hold the power of our father in heaven, we should live to a higher standard than others because we are also carrying his name with that priesthood and we should give his name the best reputation that we can give it. We should also live to a higher standard because if we have the most powerful power on this earth, then we should show more respect to it than we respect are friends.

Now think, is obeying are father in heaven really honoring the priesthood? Well I believe it is, because if the priesthood is our father in heavens power, then if we are obeying our fathers words, then we are honoring his power witch is the priesthood.

Now as I started to go deeper into the subject, another idea popped into my head, and it was another way to honor the priesthood, honoring those who carry the priesthood. Think of the people who carry the priesthood and do many things with it such as: baptisms, sacrament, confirmations and blessings. We couldn’t have one of those things if it weren’t for those who carry the priesthood, so just show those who carry the priesthood that you are grateful for what they do; now I am not saying every time they do something that requires the priesthood, you go hug them and thank them, but just smile at them and let it show that you really do appreciate it.

And as I went deeper, I wrote a story on honoring the priesthood, and I would like to share it with you.

“Jimmy was an 11 year old boy; he was active and had many friends. Jimmy was LDS and went to church every Sunday, but never really listened to what was being taught because he would always think about what he would do with his friends the next day.
Jimmy knew that he should be paying attention to the lesson because he was about to turn 12 and was about to receive the priesthood, but he thought that it was something that he would rarely ever use. One Monday, he was playing with his friends, they were playing ball and having a great time, Jimmy wanted to climb trees though, but they wouldn’t go, so Jimmy went alone. While Jimmy was climbing trees, he had slipped on a branch and fell and broke his arms. It was an hour later that his friends found him, they called 911 and Jimmy was rushed to the hospital. Jimmy’s x-rays showed that his bones were broken but they were also pinching a nerve that could paralyze Jimmy and would require surgery immediately, but Jimmy’s father asked if he could give Jimmy a blessing and when his father gave him a blessing, Jimmy felt a great pain had been taken off him, and those words ran through Jimmy’s mind through the whole surgery. After, Jimmy thanked his father and his father said “don’t thank me Jimmy, thank your father in heaven for giving me the priesthood.” Jimmy thought about what his father had said for a whole day and realized that he should honor his father in heaven for what he had done, and so he did for the rest of his existence.

Now think about Jimmy and what he had been through, do you think you would feel safe if you went into surgery and didn’t have someone who held the priesthood to give you a blessing, I can tell you right now I would be terrified. But thanks to are father in Heaven, we get to have people who hold the priesthood that can give us help when we ask for it, and all I ask of everyone is to show honor and respect to those who bless are everyday lives.

Now to close my talk I would like to share something personal with you.


Every Sunday I pass the sacrament and I think about my gifts that I have, and the first one that pops in my mind every time is the priesthood. And every night when I say my personal prayers, usually one of the first things that I say thanks for is the priesthood. Now at the beginning of my talk I said that I didn’t know very much about honoring the priesthood, and I didn’t know that I was honoring it everyday since I had received it.

1 comments:

Britni said...

You did an awesome job bud! I am impressed you wrote everything...even the story! That's awesome. Much better than any talk I've ever given